Coordinator for Student Activities and Civic Engagement
Company: University of Arkansas System
Location: Fort Smith
Posted on: January 19, 2023
Current University of Arkansas System employees including
student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday
on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to
view open positions.
All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified
Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date
please return to the search for jobs page.
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to
submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You
will be able to access and complete the application through "My
Draft Applications" located on your Candidate Home page.
Type of Position:
Professional Staff - Project/Program Administration
University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized
public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold
by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every
student. From high school seniors to senior professionals,
first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to
provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each
student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered
approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree
plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's,
and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse
workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse
population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the
university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines,
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of
lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and
features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and
entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment
district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the
city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area's
lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away
from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number
one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the
nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy
driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you
will find details for the position including any supplementary
documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting
your application. For general application assistance or if you have
questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring
process please contact Human Resources at 479-788-7080. Applicants
are required to submit a request for each position to which they
Summary of Job Duties:
The Coordinator for Student Activities and Civic Engagement will
serve an essential role in the development of campus life. The
coordinator will plan intentional and diverse campus-wide events
that align with the institution's mission, values, strategic plan,
or learning outcomes, and student development theories. Other
responsibilities include advertising the Campus Activities Board
and Lion Heart Leaders, serving as a Student Activities
spokesperson; coordinating volunteers; assisting with recruitment
of students for involvement in programs and events; implementing
marketing efforts for campus-wide events; assisting in the
development of training materials, training sessions, and retreats
for student leaders; and performing other related duties as
assigned. A flexible work schedule is required and will include
evening, weekend work, and some travel. The Coordinator for Student
Activities and Civic Engagement reports directly to the Director of
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A record of successful involvement in campus life
- One year of previous higher education work experience or
student activities experience while in college or as a
- Master's Degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel,
or related field
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of Student Affairs in Higher Education
- Excellent customer service skills including proper telephone
etiquette and pleasant phone voice.
- Knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and
- Knowledge of general office procedures
- Ability to operate standard office equipment
- Knowledge of various software programs including Microsoft
Office Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge of social media programs and other tools.
- Public speaking.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Works to create a diverse calendar of programs, hosted both by
CAB and the Student Activities Office, with intentional
- Serves as advisor to the Campus Activities Board (CAB), the
UAFS student programming board.
- Supervises CAB events throughout the planning, implementation,
marketing, execution, and post-event assessment phases.
- Oversees training, recruitment, retention, and evaluations of
the CAB leadership team and its members.
- Tracks event metrics, evaluations, and feedback for assessment
and evaluation of programs.
- Oversees CAB and Student Activities budgets.
- Reviews vendor contracts prior to submitting them through the
UAFS contract routing process.
- Coordinates the Lion Heart and Alternative Spring Break
- Supervises the Lion Heart Student Assistant, a part-time
student assistant position.
- Develops and maintains a positive relationship with local and
state non-profit organizations as collaborative partners.
- Oversees Lion Heart student volunteers, including training,
meetings, committees, and service events.
- Coordinates incentivized events and programs for tracking
- Assists with staffing the Dave Stevens Lions Pride Pantry with
- Coordinates fall and spring Welcome Week activities and plan
additional campus-wide events that contribute to student life at
- Implements publicity efforts for campus-wide events
- Assists with organizing administrative tasks in the student
- Serves as a member of the Student Conduct Board.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- The duties listed above should not be considered to be an
all-inclusive listing of work.
- Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by
acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and provide
leadership to subordinates
- A flexible work schedule is required and will include some
evening and weekend work,
- Requires consistent on-time attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator for Student Activities and Civic Engagement will
not directly supervise any professional staff but will supervise
one Student Assistant position.
Required Documents to Apply:
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, List of three Professional
References (name, email, business title), Resume,
Proof of Veteran Status
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, please apply by 1/12/2023.
Recruitment Contact Information:
Human Resources 479-788-7080
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of
Arkansas System Career Site
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
Criminal Background Check, Motor Vehicle Reports Check, Sex
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal
background check, sex offender registry check, financial history
background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or
arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone
shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship
to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug
screening information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution. The university welcomes applications without
regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin,
disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran
status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation
or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to
work in the United States on the first day of employment. All
applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the
Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Constant Physical Activity:
Hearing, Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding,
Sitting, Standing, Talking, Walking
Frequent Physical Activity:
Crouching, Feeling, Grasping, Hearing, Kneeling, Lifting,
Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding, Pulling,
Pushing, Reaching, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Standing, Stooping,
Occasional Physical Activity:
Keywords: University of Arkansas System, Fort Smith , Coordinator for Student Activities and Civic Engagement, Other , Fort Smith, Arkansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!